Physician Assistant College Admissions Test (PA-CAT)Evidence-based assessment of academic preparedness
“Our program participated in the research and testing of the PA-CAT because we see its potential. It will be good for applicants to identify and provide the opportunity to improve competence in specific subject areas between taking the exam and matriculating into a PA program.”
Facts About the PA-CAT
- PA-CAT Exam is a 240-item assessment covering 9 science subject areas
- Field-tested with over 1700 examinees at 36 PA programs
- Available at over 5,000 Prometric testing centers and at home through remote proctoring
- Cost: $228 (includes the test center fee for standard administration). Learn about our Fee Assistance Program.
- Free PA-CAT Study Resources including:
- Two 120-question PA-CAT practice exams
- 30+ Hours of video subject learning modules, with practice questions and quizzes
- 9 subject 3,200+ question bank for self-assessment quiz creation
- 9 subject-specific practice exams
Why the PA-CAT
PA-CAT Insights from a PA Program Director
Get the inside scoop on the PA-CAT, insights into the admissions process, and useful study tips.
PA-CAT Insights with Johnna Yealy, PA-C
What is Covered on The PA-CAT Exam?
- 240 multiple-choice test items
- 9 prerequisite science subjects presented randomly
- 4.5-hour total exam window
- Electronically administered by Prometric
- Special Accommodations information
The PA-CAT was developed to assess common prerequisite basic science subjects and statistics consistent with what is typically required for admission by a majority of PA programs. Test items were developed and reviewed by both subject matter experts as well as PA educators.
- General Biology
- General and Organic Chemistry
- Behavioral Sciences
Sample Topics from Anatomy*
- The Back
- Spinal Cord and Spinal Nerves
- The Anterior Abdominal Wall
- The Large and Small Intestine
- The Skull
- The Cranial Nerves
- The Hip and Thigh Areas
- The Hip, Knee, and Ankle Joints
- The Pelvis and Perineum
- The Pelvic Viscera
- The Thorax
- The Lungs, Trachea, and Bronchi
- The Upper Limb
- The Arm and Forearm
Note: Topics vary by exam form and are subject to change.
The PA-CAT items are mapped to a variety of cognitive domains for deeper assessment.
Cognitive Domains Covered on the PA-CAT:
All of the latest information on the PA-CAT program including details about the content of the exam, sample PA-CAT outcomes reporting, and PA-CAT implementation for programs.
Exam Master's Physician Assistant College Admissions Test (PA-CAT) is provided through on-line non-downloadable software by Exam Master Corporation.